Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lesson: Happyness

I watched the Will Smith movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" on late/early television tonight. It was the second time I had seen the movie, so I got to enjoy it a little more deeply. It's a brilliant, heartbreaking film. Plus, his kid is so adorable! As I watched the movie, I got the unavoidable guilt trip that I really have it better than I think I do. A roof, food, a strong family support system--all of these are things I take for granted sometimes, especially in the midst of a stressful time. But what especially struck me this time around was the quote at the very end of the movie.

"This part of my life, this little part... is called happiness."

I have some hard stuff happening in my life. Nothing compared to the man and his son in the movie, nothing compared to some of the people I know. Still, it's hard enough to cause me some stress, some tears, some sleepless nights (nights that the lack of sleep is not because I'm working, that is). But tonight I curled up with my husband in bed. He made me laugh. He kissed my cheek and stroked my hair. He fell asleep with my head on his shoulder and mumbled "I love you" when I got up and left for work. And this part of my life, this little part... is called happiness.

1 comment: